Community Service Program
COMMUNITY SERVICE STEPS (1. 2. 3.):
- ALL BVMS Students are encouraged to volunteer unlimited Community Service hours.
- To be eligible for Outdoor Ed Trips, students are required to complete a minimum number of hours prior to the trip, as follows: 6th (2 hrs), 7th (10 hrs), 8th (10 hrs).
- Click here for opportunities on BVMS campus, in BHUSD schools, and with local community organizations.
- Service Verification Forms must be completed. Click here for forms to track all BVMS Community Service. Forms must be signed by authorized supervisor.
- Individual Activity Cards are available outside room C110. Forms and cards are also available in the main office. Cards must be signed by authorized supervisor.
- Completed forms & cards must be turned in and placed in the box labeled "Community Service" in Room C110.
- Show compassion, leadership, creativity, and depth.
- Learn about caring and social responsibility.
- Perform service and reflect how you are affected by the act of performing service.
- On BVMS Campus - Sign Up Outside Room C110
- At Hawthorne & Horace Mann Elementary Schools - Contact a Teacher directly
- For Local Community Organizations
Verification of Hours
Make sure to get the verification form filled out and signed by the non-profit organization's adult supervisor of the activity (NOT a parent/family member/friend).
WHAT MATTERS TO YOU? HOW DO YOU WANT TO GIVE BACK? (Community ServiCE IDEAS)
Animals: Do you love animals? Local animal shelters are always in need of volunteers. Contact a local shelter and speak with a volunteer coordinator to see what help is needed.
Seniors: Our community has many senior citizens who would relish the time and help that a teen could lend. Beverly Hills has senior centers and private nursing home where volunteers are needed. Even a small amount of time with a senior can make a difference. You can help seniors learn how to use a computer and email to stay in touch with their own grandchildren. You could adopt a senior citizen as a “grand-friend” and write letters to them.
Elementary Schools: You can contact your former teachers from Hawthorne and Horace Mann to offer help in the classroom. Click here to find a teacher at Hawthorne and Horace Mann. Or contact the PTA.
Environment: Do you care deeply about the threats facing our environment and have an interest in helping our community “go green.” Participate in a community cleanup day; or help clear hiking trails or perform beach cleanups.
Jan 18: Heal the Bay beach clean-up. Sign up at: https://healthebay.org/event/nothin-but-sand-jan-2020/
Feb 9: The Painted Turtle community volunteer day. Sign up at: https://give.thepaintedturtle.org/event/2020-community-volunteer-day/e263310
Feb 29: Susan G Komen more than pink walk. Sign up as a volunteer by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org